One of the scariest things about cancer is that it can affect just about anyone. While oral cancer is often most attributed to tobacco users, those are not the only people who can be affected. Cancer is the uncontrollable growth of abnormal cells anywhere inside the body, and this disease can target even the healthiest people.
One of the scariest things about oral cancer is that some of the signs of this disease are obvious, while others are easy to overlook or ignore. Many of the signs of oral cancer are often credited to a variety of other conditions, putting people at a higher risk of complications or death because they do not receive early intervention. It is important to understand that the oral cavity consists of the entire mouth (lips, tongue, cheeks, teeth, gums, palate, and floor of the mouth) as well as the throat and even the nasal cavity. Understanding this inner connection between all of these features will help make any signs of oral cancer more obvious.
Common signs include:
- A persistent sore inside the mouth that will not heal (this is the most common and most noticeable sign of oral cancer)
- Any type of lump, bump, or growth anywhere inside the oral cavity
- The thickening of the cheek lining
- Persistent sore throat
- Trouble swallowing
- The feeling that something is caught inside the throat or that you cannot clear your throat
- A change in the sound of your voice
- Chronic hoarseness
- Dentures that are loose
- Natural teeth that become loose inside your mouth
- Soreness or stiffness in the jaw
- Lingering bad breath
- Ear pain
- Sudden weight loss
Ear pain, weight loss, and a sore throat are not obvious signs of oral cancer. However, knowing all of the signs of oral cancer can save your life. Call Kyle Parkway Dentistry with any concerns you have regarding your oral health.
Posted on Behalf of Kyle Parkway Dentistry